Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Millie-Bird Flies the Coop


Monday, July 19th.... 3 am:

Paul is working nights in the medical ICU and I am home alone. I wake up to roll over in bed, which is no easy feat at 37 weeks pregnant. As I roll, I hear a POP! It is immediately evident that my water has broken. My first thought, "Of course this would happen in the middle of the night when I am home alone!" I can't get Paul to answer his phone, so I call my sis-in-law, Kara, and have her page him. He calls back. Here is the conversation:

Paul: This is Dr. Thayn, I was paged.
Me: It's your wife.
Paul: Oh... Hi?
Me: My water just broke.
Paul: It did? Are you sure?
Me: If hearing a pop and having lots of water go everywhere isn't sure, I don't know what is.
Paul: Oh wow, ok. I will try to get off work.

Paul comes home and we spend the next couple of hours timing contractions.
At around 6 a.m. I am ready to go to the hospital.

They check me in and when the midwife shows up she tells me I am 4 centimeters dilated. She has a funny look on her face and feels the position of the baby in my stomach. "The baby is head up."
Paul and I look at each other in shock. "What?"
"She's breech. It looks like you will be having an emergency c-section."
Needless to say, this is not how we envisioned things to go.
I am laboring hard now and a swarm of people rush around. They ask me questions over and over, poke me with needles, and keep telling me I am going to have a baby within the hour. It's all a blur, and all I can think about is the contractions.
They rush me off to the operating room and Paul is left behind to change into a sterile paper jumpsuit.
When he is with me again they get started and a few minutes later I see Paul smiling. "There's her butt! She's out, Bel!" She is born at 8:24 a.m.

He goes to cut the cord and comes back with a little bundle. "It's a girl."


I give her a kiss. "Hi, baby."

I first hold her in recovery. She is beautiful and I can't believe she is here. I wasn't expecting her for a couple more weeks. But she IS here, and she is wonderful. We name her Amelia Caroline.

Mom and Dad fly across the country to see their granddaughter on her actual birthday. They make it just before midnight.


We soak in the events as we spend the next couple of days in the hospital. Apparently emergency c-sections don't get the royal treatment afterwards. The room is tiny, the bed screeches when I try to sit it up or lay it down, the chair in the room doesn't lay fully flat, and there is no shower in the bathroom. After 2 nights all we want to do is take our darling girl and go home. So we do.

After a week, I am still shocked that I have a baby.
At the same time, I can't believe I lived without her. We love you Millie!

7 comments:

  1. She's beautiful! Congratulations! Looks like she really knows how to make an entrance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! She is beautiful! Congratulations! I hope you have a happy recovery.

    Oh, this is Natalie (Bates) Olsen. I found your blog off of Dave and Kara's. I hope you don't mind me looking. Kara mentioned you guys were having a baby, and I thought I'd see if anything happened yet. We had our 5th boy just three weeks ago, so if you guys are into arranged marriages, we've got a few gorgeous guys you can choose from! ...and I promise they did NOT get my shortness! Thank Heaven! :)

    Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's just hormones or maybe we just love you guys too much, but this post made me tear up big time. We love little Millie too and are so excited that you all are a part of your lives! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH my goodness, she is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! There are cute babies, and REALLY cute babies. Well Bel, you have an extremely cute baby! :D
    And you look way too good for having just had a baby. not fair! Hehe. I hope recovery goes well and that you can enjoy your little angel. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Sniff* *Sniff*... That was a great story! I am so happy for you, and so glad everything went well. She is absolutely, undeniably, beautiful! And before Natalie lays too heavy a claim to an arranged marriage... don't forget I have four boys this way too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bel...you actually had me crying! What a joyous experience for you and Paul!! Troy and I are thrilled for the two of you. We always knew the two of you would be great parents - and it sounds as though her entrance into this world was just the beginning for an exciting life to come! We love you both SOOOOO much and can't wait to see little Millie in person! Congratulations - she is beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Born on the best day of the year! I'm glad that you updated your blog so I could get the full story finally!;)

    ReplyDelete